Arduino telescope focuser real life tests

In the first part (ASCOM telescope focuser with Arduino) short description of the project was presented. Last night I have noticed a few stars (yeah, maybe a few dozens) and it was enough to do some real life tests of the focuser project. 

jolofoc-focus-curve

FocusMax software was chosen to deal with homemade telescope focuser. After few moments of setup the V-curve of the system was determined. The process ran surprisingly fast and without any problems. Both side slope values were pretty similar, so I was quite happy with the result. 
After this I spent like half an hour on focusing for different star fields with different filters, and the success factor was 100%. Each time the system was able to reach focus point within 30 seconds. HFD value was in the range of 1.7-2.15 depending on automatically selected star and current filter in the optical path (currently my set contains only UV/IR cut, R, G, and B filters produced by Baader Planetarium).
jolofoc-focused
So it seems everything works fine and I am even more prepared for (hopefully) incoming starry nights…

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *